ARL Employees Recognized for Excellence in Federal Service
May 18, 2010
Eight ARL employees were honored by the Baltimore Federal Executive Board at the 43rd annual Excellence in Federal Career Awards luncheon and ceremony on May 7.
The Baltimore FEB recognizes Maryland's federal agency employees each year during Public Service Recognition Week for excellence in job performance throughout the previous year. The 2010 awards program was held at Martin's West in Baltimore and was hosted by George King, chair of the Baltimore FEB, and Felicia Cannon, clerk of court for the U.S. District Court of Maryland.
The Baltimore FEB recognized 298 Maryland federal employees and military service members at this year's ceremony. Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards were presented to the winners in 19 different job excellence categories.
ARL's Dr. Sarah Bedair, Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD) researcher in the Power Components Branch, and Thomas Adkins, lead engineering technician and experimental facility manager in the Ballistics and NBC Division at the Suvivability/Lethality Analysis Directorate (SLAD), both received Gold awards.
Bedair received the Gold award for Rookie of the Year for technical, scientific, and program support.
'I am very excited. I had no idea I would win the Gold so I am thrilled,' Bedair said.
Adkins received the Gold award for Outstanding Para-Professional for technical, scientific and program support.
"I am totally thrilled and surprised," he said. "I had no idea I was nominated. I am honored."
Dimeji Ibitayo, chemical engineer at SEDD, was presented with a Silver award. Bronze awards were presented to Dr. Sandra Young, Weapons and Materials Research Directorate (WMRD), Ricky Grote (SLAD), Natalie Eberius (SLAD), Bonney Gietz, Computational and Information Science Directorate (CISD), and Margaret Denkins (CISD).
More than 1,145 federal officials, employees, military service members, family members, and guests participated in the event, which featured the Baltimore area U.S. Coast Guard Color Guard and music from the Brass Express Quintet.
- Thomas Adkins: Outstanding Para-Professional (Non-Supervisory) ' Technical, Scientific, and Program Support (Individual)
- Dr. Sarah Bedair: Rookie Employee of the Year ' Technical, Scientific and Program Support
- Dimeji Ibitayo: Workforce Diversity/Equal Employment Opportunity Service
- Bronze Awards Ricky Grote: Outstanding Supervisor ' Grades 13 and above
- Natalie Eberius: Outstanding Professional (Non-Supervisory) - Technical, Scientific, and Program Support
- Bonney Gietz: Outstanding Professional (Non-Supervisory) ' Administrative, Management, and Specialist
- Margaret Denkins: Outstanding Administrative/ Management Assistant (Individual)
- Dr. Sandra K. Young: Volunteer Service (Individual)